Tune Up Basics 2011
Course Dates: July 7th thru July 24th
Class meets Thursday & Sundays only!
Time: Thursdays 6:30-8:30pm & Sundays 2-6pmClass completed thank you to all participants!
Course Dates: September 7th thru 25th
Class meets Wednesdays & Sundays only!
Time: Wednesdays 6:30-8:30pm & Sundays 2-6pm
This is a course is designed for folks who would like to learn the basics of bike repair and maintenance. You will become comfortable with the simple machines found on all bikes and the specifics particular to your own bike. We'll cover anatomy of the bike and bike tool use, going well beyond the basics of flat repair and lubrication, delving into many details that escape notice until it's required to replace expensive parts. With this basic skill set, you'll be ready to diagnose and repair common problems. Be prepared to work outside class time to reinforce practical skills and complete personal projects.
Certification: Students will receive a certificate of completion from The Flashbulb Institute.
Instructor: Jeremy Munson will be teaching this course for the third season of The Flashbulb Institute. He has worked as a bicycle mechanic for 18 years and taught bicycle maintenance courses at Old Spokes Home and the Ski Rack in Burlington, VT and Broadway Bicycle School in Cambridge, MA.
Registration: A non-refundable deposit of $100 is required to reserve your place in the course.
Please include student's name and contact information with payment and send to
The Flashbulb Institute 200 Main Street, Office #14, Burlington, VT 05401.
Checks payable to The Flashbulb Institute.
Grants & Scholarships: Students may be eligible for a VSAC Non-degree grant or a VT Green program grant.
See Grants & Scholarships for more information.
- Bike anatomy
- Saddle height and fore/aft position
- What to carry on the road?
- Flat tire repair
- Tire sizes
- Adjust front and rear hubs
- Replace cog sets
- True and dish wheels
- Quick release
- Replace cranks and pedals
- Adjust traditional bottom bracket
- Remove and grease cartridge bottom bracket
- Break, join, and size chain
- Drive train wear
- Rear derailleur hanger alignment and adjustment
- Front derailleur alignment and adjustment
- Replace derailleur cables and housing
- Assess derailleur wear
- Replace brake cables
- Replace brake pads and adjust
- Various brake types and application
- Adjust threadless and traditional headsets
- Three speed hub adjustment
- Special projects/student directed
Road Survival & Bike Tour 2011
Basic bike class, group ride to Montpelier, visits with rad Central Vermont projects & more!!!
Details coming soon